Although I had been interested in book arts for years, my passion for the form really began after I ran the 2013 Boston Marathon on American Liver Foundation’s Run for Research team and found myself searching for ways to express the complex impacts of the marathon, the bombing, and the aftermath. I began to work a series of artist’s books on the Boston Marathon. Since that time I have created several dozen artists’ books that combine mythic, historic, literary, and seasonal or science elements. I find artists’ books particularly well suited for capturing multiple perspectives, the passage of time, and paradigm shifts because they offer so many opportunities for the use of complementary or competing text and visual narratives in two, three, four (or more) dimensions.
AWARDS AND EXHIBITIONS
- Judge’s Choice Award for “Surviving the Election,” Beyond the Book, An Exhibition of Book as Art X, Boston Public Libraries
- Librarian’s Choice Award for “Remains of the Day 2,” Beyond the Book, An Exhibition of the Book as Art VII, Boston Public Libraries.
- Judge’s Merit of Distinction Award for “Muscle Memory,” Beyond the Book, An Exhibition of the Book as Art VII, Boston Public Libraries
- Tenth Anniversary Beyond the Book, Exhibition of the Book as Art, Boston Public Libraries, November 2016-January 2017
- Ninth Annual Beyond the Book, Exhibition of the Book as Art, Boston Public Library, December 2015- January 2016.
- Olympic Spirit, Boston City Hall, Fall 2015
- Beyond the Book, An Exhibition of the Book a Art VIII, Boston Public Libraries, 2014
- EPIC, Harvard Allston Educational Portal, 2014
- Beyond the Book Art VII, Boston Public Libraries, 2013
- I’ll Be There, 2013 Boston Marathon Music and Video Montage for American Liver Foundation 2014 Fundraising Campaign. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9b3Px93Rjw
SELECTED WORKSHOPS AND PRESENTATIONS INCORPORATING BOOKMAKING
- “How We Are Changed by the Things That Don’t Happen; Explorations in Literature and Life,” for Women’s Studies Research Center, Brandeis University (with Katerina Daley and Sage Hahn in Brandeis Student/Scholar program).
- “How We Are Changed by the Things That Don’t Happen in Poetry and Life,” Brandeis University Writing Program (with Katerina Daley and Sage Hahn in Brandeis Student /Scholar program).